What's Happening in the GRBID 2018 - 2019
2018 achievements and plans:
- Regular communications with our members via newsletters
- Electric Bike Scheme BCC – The GRBID is in possession of an electric bike for a 6 month free trial. This is for staff to get out and about, greenly and efficiently – and has actively been promoting this scheme to traders who would benefit
- Social Media Drop In sessions – free to BID members. Held at a Gloucester Road venue.
- Favourable deals to BID members with Utility Swap - – that’s the beauty of buy power.
- Discounted deals to BID members with Bristol Waste for 5 days per week waste and recycling collections.
- Membership Destination Bristol – To reach a wider audience
- Cleaner Streets – Engaged Street Clean who do a fantastic job of cleaning up unwanted graffiti and litter on the streets in the BID area.
- Negotiated reduced advertising rates in Bristol 24/7’s Annual Food and Drink guide.
- Discounted rate for a double page monthly feature in Bishopston Matters
- Sponsored the award-winning Window Wanderland 2018 Bishopston event which originated right here in 2015. Involved the local schools and community groups in decorating BID trader windows.
- Delivered an Easter Bunny Trail for the younger members of our community
- Devised Charity Shop Tours with a local stylist which have proved a huge success – being featured by BBC Radio Bristol https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p062mdb6 (1m52 secsin)
- Worked with Link Age network https://www.linkagenetwork.org.uk/
- Discounted advertising rates with Link Age
- Bishopston Society – GRBID manager representing traders at local public meetings
- Supporting local events on Facebook such as Glos Rd Central’s Mayfest & Nailsea Elcetrcial’s Summer Party
- Bristol World Food Passport – BID Manager Anne-Louise Perez came up with a strategy for bringing more footfall into the area showcasing our fantastic variety of food and drink. Bristol Food Connections loved the idea and are piloting the scheme.
- Go Eco event – a drop in session where traders and residents can learn more about sustainable packaging and practices as well as greening up the area with vertical gardens, electric bikes and more.
- Hail and Stop Golf Buggy – an eco friendly way of getting those heavier purchases home!
- Christmas 2018: more wreath making workshops have been booked.
- Plans are afoot for more lights during the festive season
Working collaboratively and grateful for the investment from the areas’ traders and businesses we plan to meet the objectives in the original business plan of 2013 (link summary of aims). We have delivered a number of successful projects and aim to:
- Work towards a Cleaner and Greener Gloucester Road. We work in partnership with Streetscene http://www.bcrnp.org.uk/be-a-street-scene-volunteer/ to ensure that litter and graffiti tagging is dealt with quickly. Traders are being encouraged to use more eco-friendly packaging. The local community is very keen on sustainability and we feel it is essential to listen to our customer voice.
- Play to our strengths: Bristol’s Indie District is a haven to food and drink lovers and we have worked with our fantastic traders to set up a series of Food and Craft Beer Tours in the area. We have also created a Bristol World Food Passport Trail which is being piloted as part of Bristol’s Food Connections Week in June this year https://www.getawriggleon.com/o/bristol-bristols-independent-district-bristol-food-connections-world-food-passport-trail#.WuCIEUqc9cc.link
- Continue to make Bristol’s Indie District a destination: with the creation of our map we are showing visitors to the area the variety and wealth of what is available. The map is not only available from businesses in the area but is also stocked at Bristol Temple Meads and at the Tourist Information office and main travel hubs such as the airport, bringing in visitors from Bristol and beyond. Our membership of Visit Bristol has meant that events run by the BID and BID trader members (see below) are publicised on a much larger scale, attracting wider audiences.